Some wordsin English require you to be alert because they might look alike; they mightsound alike or they mean almost the same thing – but not quite!
The most common use of the word current is to mean something that is happening right now.
Examples: Although the current price of petrol is quite high it is expected to fall by the end of the year.
The number of students at the university is currently 3,200 but the number could change if the country continues to have economic problems.
Another common use of the word is to mean a large flow of air or water.
Examples: The strong current carried the swimmer out to sea so that he could only be rescued with great difficulty.
The hot air from the volcano caused such a strong current of air that pilots were warned to stay right away from it.
It is also commonly used to talk about a flow of electricity.
Example: Because of the lightning there was such a large surge of electrical current that it wrecked my computer and all my data.
This word is entirely different! Usually it means a small, dried grape that is sometimes used in bread or cakes or sometimes eaten straight out of the packet. It is sometimes used to mean a small berry but always as a compound word e.g.blackcurrant.
Example: Whenever my mother cooked cakes she would always put currants in them and I always picked them out because I hated them!!
If you need a quick burst of energy you should try eating a handful of currants.
NOW IT’S YOUR TURN.
What words should go in these sentences?
1. Because the southern areas ofAustralia are so good for growing grapes a lot of wine and also ____________ are exported to the world.
2. The woman has suffered such great hardship from her alcoholic husband that the __________ situation cannot continue any longer.
Use an adjective to make these sentences clear.
1. I heard a very sad story yesterday. A workman was fixing the roof of a house when he touched a wire and the e____________ current killed him instantly.
2. During the long distance boat race the powerful o__________ currents scattered the boats over hundreds of kilometres.
3. The eastern side of Hawaii is quite dry because the a______ currents drop all the rain on the western side of the mountains.
Send these sentences to me by email and I will check them for you.